Today was incredible!! Bec and I had a super early start this morn and decided to trek over to the mountains (on her motorbike) to visit the elephant camp. But, I must mention one thing first...motorbikes here in Thailand, I think, must be made specifically for the Thai people, whom are a wee bit smaller than us white folk. So, it was absolutely hilarious trying to get two white girls up this mountain to get to the elephant camp, while all the Thai people are buzzing by us. I could have run faster than the bike was going...apparently there's a weight restriction that we didn't know about! ha! Bec pretty much had her legs down trying to push us up at points. Too funny.
Anyhow, once we arrived there, we were greeted by about 10 elephants just bathing in the river...not more than 10 feet from us. When they stretched out their trunks you were close enough to touch them...super duper cool. Then we get to watch the elephant show for an hour, seeing them do a ton of neat tricks -- play soccer, paint pictures, throw darts, stand on their rear legs -- definitely have pictures to come. Toward the end, the elephants come right up to you in the stands and you can take pictures with them...I stood in between four of them, then they proceeded to wrap their trunks around me!! I think I half excited and half freak right out, as I thought they could squeeze the life out of me!
Following the show, Bec and I went on an elephant ride for an hour through the Thailand jungle...absolutely incredible. There's just something about walking through God's creation on the other side of the world, on top of an elephant, that cannot be described. I had never really been through the jungle here yet, so to be able to do that on the back of an elephant was amazing. It undoubtedly gave me a whole new perspective on the Lord's incredible creation. Pictures to come as well.
On our way back down the mountain (WAY easier going back down...) we stopped in at one of the national parks, which had a total of ten waterfalls. We didn't really realize this national park was more of a "hiking" thing, and trying to trek through the jungle/park with flip flops (and ponchos) was quite the adventure. It seemed as though we were making our own path half the time two as we hiked up to see the top waterfalls. The verse that was rolling through my head the entire time was "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it" (Matt 7:13,14) The path to the narrow gate is undoubtedly harder and far less travelled...and that truth came alive to me today like none other.
Anyhow, all in all, it was a fantastic day. We ended with grabbing some dinner at the local night market, then enjoyed the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. Very cute - recommend it for sure!
Tomorrow is my last day here...not too much planned, perhaps stopping by the silver factory for a bit and maybe the night market, but that's about it. I have to gear up for my 20 hour flight back home!
See y'all soon!
Much love,
A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment