Never in my life have I woken up at 4am, 5am or 6am and actually been awake and ready to take on the day...except while here in Thailand. Definitely gives me a few more hours in the day.
The past couple days have been sweet -- not overly touristy, but more so just enjoying the slower pace of life. A couple days ago we hit up one of the malls here in Chiang Mai, which is similar to the malls in Canada, for the most part. It's 4 floors, and the top floor is where the Thai people mainly shop, so you're able to bargain with them, which is sweet. Bec speaks Thai, so we get a better deal automatically, also sweet. We also went and got our nails done (TONS of little places around here to do that)...we thought it was a pretty good idea for our upcoming trip down south to the beaches.
A couple nights ago we hit up the night bizarre -- the streets and open yards are lined with stands of local, handmade stuff. Lots of great stuff for super cheap prices, thanks to Bec. On Sunday evening there is the main "night market" where two main streets are shut down and the Thai people set up their little vendor stations to sell their stuff. I'm excited for that. It'll be different stuff and more selection than the night bizarres (which is already huge in my mind).
Yesterday morning when Bec and I were heading out to her Thai lesson a scorpion greeted me at the door...i freaked. They tried to convince me it was just a cricket, but trust me, I know a scorpion when I see one. Bec saved the day and got it away. There are little lizard type things that crawl around the walls and ceilings of the house, but they seem to be pretty harmless.
Yesterday Bec took me on a huge motor bike ride around Chiang Mai, so that was a ton of fun, although my butt was killing towards the end. Motor bikes rule the road here -- there are a ton with no rules -- which makes for a good time. I also get some reading done (This Present Darkness, Peretti), which I'm thoroughly enjoying.
Today the plan is to meet up with a few other American missionaries and go to the silver factory, which is a little ways away I think. I'm excited for that...lots of handmade stuff, but nice silver.
Anyhow, must get going...everyone seems to be waking up now and the day is starting.
I'll try to post a few pics in the next day or two!
Sending my love from Thailand,
A.
ps - I don't read over or proof read these posts - sorry!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment