People are different, cultures are different, but we all have the same need...Jesus Christ. My last night in Thailand I had the opportunity to have dinner with three Thai girls (plus Bec), where we were able to encourage each other and share what the Lord is doing in our lives. It was incredible. They had just gotten back from a missions trip to Burma (when the cyclone hit) and their passion and love for the Lord was so evident. Although these girls have so little in the material sense, they truly do have so much -- an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. I think it puts a lot of us to shame here in the Western world. I was sharing with someone the other night about the conversations I had with these Thai girls and how their relationship with the Lord was so encouraging to me, and his response: "Canada/north America is one of the hardest places to be a Christian". After some thought, I realized this statement does have some truth to it. If you think about it, here in Canada we have everything we "need" - clean water, great food, and a solid roof over our head that doesn't leak at night - all of which aren't the case in Thailand (and many other countries). Anyhow, our lives here are so abundant and filled with "stuff," that it's so easy to feel like we don't "need" the Lord...it's so easy to push Him aside and do thing on our own. Rely on our own wisdom (or lack of). I'm guilty of that for sure. We (myself included) so quickly rely on our own strength and depend on ourselves to get through each day...it's almost scary. It blows my mind that we can trust God with our eternal destiny, yet fail to trust Him with the small details of each day.
Anyhow, my thoughts are a bit scattered right now, but I guess I'm just "wowed" how Christ's love truly transcends all borders. Christ's love is universal. He IS love. I may not have been able to speak Thai(at the dinner, one girl translated), but I pray that each person I came in contact with during my time there saw just a glimpse of Christ in me, the hope of glory. Perhaps it was just a smile I gave them, or a little wave, whatever...I just pray that Christ's love shone through.
More thoughts to come...
Livin' for eternity,
A

(these are the three Thai girls I had dinner with)
No comments:
Post a Comment