Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chiang Mai, Thailand!

Well, after 20 or so hours of travelling, I finally arrived in Chiang Mai last night around 9:30pm...what a relief! It was so great seeing Bec and getting to see where she's lived for the past 8 months. I was able to meet a few of the friends here that she does ministry stuff with, so that was pretty neat. Most of them can speak a few English words, so I was able to communicate a bit. One of Bec's good friends that she met here, Kate, joined us for a quick late night dinner at one of the local Thai restaurants...definitely a "local" type place. I think my meal was MAYBE a dollar Canadian. At that point I was so hungry I would have eaten anything.
Today it was pouring rain (this week is supposed to be a bit rainy), but apparently pouring rain doesn't stop bec and I from going out on her motor bike to get food...we were SOAKED. Since food is so cheap here many people just eat all their meals out, or get fresh food that day from the markets. We went to the market too for a bit after the rain calmed down...definitely different than anything I've ever seen. I was just casually strolling down the isles of the market, and much to my surprise, there was a row of pigs heads there, just waiting to be purchased I guess. For the first time in my life I'm pretty sure I was speechless and didn't quite know how to react. Needless to say, I will not be eating pig head while I'm here. sorry.
We went to a nice coffee shop this afternoon and just enjoyed the afternoon. In a couple minutes Bec and I are going over to Kate and Tiff's house (two thai girls) where we'll be making them Canadian food, and they'll be making us Thai food. I'm pretty excited. They both speak pretty good English too, so that makes things easier!! I hope to learn a thing or two from them....

Livin for eternity,
A.

ps - the pace of life here is sweet...way more chill and relaxed than us crazy Canadians.

1 comment:

brenda g. said...

hi andrea,
i am just trying to figure out this blogger thing.
i figure you are having no trouble slowing down. (neither would i)
i figure your canadian dinner you served was chicken and veggies.
i can't believe you rode the scooter in the rain.... you dad, as you know, would never do that!
now that you have had a taste of the amazing race.... and you know how to work "it"... you might consider asking the programe if they will take a canadian...
anyhow, continue on with your thai experience.
love mom