Sunday, April 13, 2008

Treadmill thoughts...

Second to driving, running on the treadmill is one of my favourite times to just think or reflect on whatever may be on my heart. Recently, I finished a bible study, "Jesus the One and Only," examining the life of Christ primarily through the gospel of Luke. In this life where I am seeking to become more like Christ, doing a study such as this was absolutely incredible. No where will you find a better example of love, humility, wisdom, discipline and obedience than in the life of Jesus Christ.
Currently, a good friend and I are working through the Psalms of Ascent (120-134) - a study called "Stepping Up" by Beth Moore. Also a fantastic study. During my little jaunt on the treadmill this morning, Psalm 123 as at the forefront of my mind, which mainly talks about our eyes looking up to the Lord, our God. God calls us to look to Him, seek and find in Him, but he wants us to approach on His terms based on who He really is. Not as we think we'd like to make Him. Stay with me here...let me explain. We are not presented with a functional god who will help us out of jams or an entertainment god who will lighten our tedious hours. We are presented with the God of exodus and Easter, the God of Sinai and Calvary. If we want to understand God, we must do it on his terms. If we want to see God the way he really is, we must look to the place of authority -- to Scripture and to Jesus Christ. And hey, do we really want it any other way? I dont think so. We would very soon become contemptuous of a god whom we could figure out like a puzzle or learn to use like a tool. No, if God is worth our attention at all, he must be a God we can look up to -- a God we MUST look up to. The moment we look up to God (and not over at him, or down to him) we are in the posture of servitude and humility. I dont mean that God can't or won't get us out of jams, but if that's all we make of Him, I think we've missed the true enormity of God.
I think what is missing and unexplained on the pages of Scriptures is in some ways just as inspired as what you find in ink. Who else is so brilliant, so multidimensional and gloriously mysterious that you could spend your entire life studying and never grasp His vastness?

No comments: